Week in Review–June 30th, 2019
The Week in Review is a number of each all of the goodness I’ve written all through the previous week across the web, in addition to a small pile of hyperlinks I discovered fascinating – in most cases staying power sports activities comparable. I’ve incessantly questioned what to do with the entire coolness that folks write, and whilst I percentage a large number of it on Twitter and Facebook, this can be a higher discussion board for sending it directly to y’all. Most occasions those other streams don’t overlap, so be looking out at a lot of these puts for just right stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the motion!
DCRAINMAKER.COM Posts in the Past Week:
Here’s all of the goodness that ended up at the primary web page this previous week:
Monday: five Random Things I Did This Weekend
Tuesday: The Because It’s Friday $500 Sports Gadget Giveaway Results/Winner!
Wednesday: Polar’s $199 Ignite GPS Hands-On: Everything you ever sought after to understand
Friday: Testing In The Wind Tunnel with Stryd’s New Running Power Meter
I had 3 slated posts slide because of ultimate minute tweaks from corporations. So…you’ll most probably see the fruit of the ones labors this week as an alternative. Welcome to my international.
FIT File Podcast This Week:
Episode 80 of the podcast is up!
– Zwift Time Trial Mode, and Group Ride Fence updates
– FulGaz: New Training options & ERG mode
– Garmin GPS Chipset Rabbit Hole
– IQ^2 Never Ending Updates
– Polar Ignite GPS Watch
– Lama Lab checks of the Crown Rollers
– BKool AIR Testing Tidbits
– New Stryd Running Power Meter Wind Tunnel Testing
– Some a laugh at the back of the scenes tidbits
Listen right here, or 4 choices for the place to seek out the podcast:
A) iTunes: If you’ve were given an Apple instrument, we’re there!
B) Google Play Music: Yup, we’re right here too (and on Google Podcasts app)
C) Spotify: Of path we’re on Spotify now – you’ll be able to even cache it in your wearable too!
D) RSS Feed: Follow alongside the use of the direct RSS feed
YouTube Videos This Past Week:
Here’s what hit the tubes over at the You of Tube, for sure don’t disregard to subscribe there to get notified of movies the second one they hit!
Stuff that I discovered fascinating across the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all of the random issues that I came across whilst doing my civic responsibility to seek out the tip of the Internet (and in this situation, a few of these are from the previous few weeks…as my backlog is slightly longer):
1) Fundamental problems with fresh Shimano founded right-sided energy meter: GPLama is going deep down the rabbit hollow in this one with inconsistencies observed on more recent Shimano-based energy meters.
2) And slightly extra element from Keith Wakeham: And after all, Keith dives even deeper into the problems. Definitely value an eye!
three) Apple Watches presented through Apple for grants: Apple might be launching an Apple Watch grant program, for organizations in need of to do analysis tasks the use of Apple Watch. Of path, that is extra of a formalization of one thing that already happens. Apple has funded a lot of analysis techniques already with Apple Watches.
four) Apple Watch continues march against no iOS dependence: This will permit Apple Watch to get updates without delay from Apple with out requiring connection to an iPhone. Of path, there’s nonetheless many different dependencies that wish to evaporate (and apps that wish to instantiate), however I wouldn’t be stunned if we see the following Apple Watch this autumn (assuming a every year cycle) come with Android toughen.
five) The esports bubble is able to pop: Of path it’s. Duh.
6) Garmin declares sleep find out about effects: Putting this at the pile of relatively older issues, Garmin commissioned a snooze find out about, and those are the consequences.
7) Samsung Galaxy Watch Active v2 may come with LTE: Or may now not. Also, slightly sudden to peer rumors only some months after the present instrument launched. I’d be hesitant to place a lot inventory in this. Often rumors are flawed or timelines horribly askew, be it for Samsung or Garmin. That stated, so far as LTE toughen is going, Samsung is considered one of a pair corporations globally that may pull this off at this worth level, as a result of they’ve were given the telecoms through the spherical issues. Leverage is a key requirement for succeeding these days with cellular-enabled wearables.
eight) Researchers increase AI for listening for cardiac arrest: Well that’s tremendous cool. Basically the speculation of taking an Alexa speaker or such, and having it pay attention for the respiring/gasping patterns of cardiac arrest. Whether or now not any person can commercialize this effectively is a unique query.
Sports Technology Software/Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I briefly spotlight one of the crucial new firmware, app, device, and website online carrier updates that I see move out. If you’re a sports activities era corporate and free up an replace – shoot me a handy guide a rough word (simply one-liners are best possible, or Tweet it at me is even higher) and I’ll make point out of it right here. If I don’t learn about it, I gained’t be capable to publish about it. Sound just right? Oh – and if you wish to get a head get started on issues, this web page is a brilliant useful resource for gazing Garmin and a couple of different firmware updates.
Garmin Edge 530 Firmware Update: Bug fixes, and prioritization of ANT+ sensors over BLE sensors (to reduce problems/confusion)
Garmin Edge 830 Firmware Update: Bug fixes, and prioritization of ANT+ sensors over BLE sensors (to reduce problems/confusion)
Garmin Fenix five Plus Firmware Update: Bug fixes
Garmin FR245 BETA Firmware Update: Bug repair
Garmin Instinct BETA Firmware Update: Bug fixes and Explore enhancements
Garmin MARQ Athlete Firmware Update: Some new options, pile of trojan horse fixes
Lezyne gadgets Firmware Update: New map displays and different tweaks.
Thanks for studying!