Eco-Friendly Gift Wrap Ideas | Wellness Mama
Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
I like Christmas and the vacations as a result of this time of 12 months is all about gift-giving (and journey sharing) however sadly, there’s a darkish aspect to vacation giving that many of us don’t even consider: the volume of additional waste produced via the reward wrap, luggage, and ribbon.
Consider this: in the United States by myself, we use four million lots of reward wrap and decorations every 12 months and this simply will get added to landfills after the vacations! This is a 25% build up over commonplace waste quantity between Thanksgiving and New Year.
Over two billion playing cards are despatched and sufficient ribbon is used to tie a bow across the Earth… and this all results in landfills.
A Better Way to Gift Wrap
The just right information is that we will nonetheless benefit from the vacations and the fantastic time with our households with out further waste. There are some ways to package deal and wrap presents in an eco-friendly method with reusable packaging.
In reality, the previous “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” mantra is a brilliant reminder on the subject of reward wrapping.
Eco-Friendly Gift Wrap Ideas
How can we get began? The first one is a biggie!
1. Reduce the Number of Gifts
An extremely easy technique to cut back the volume of waste every 12 months is to scale back the selection of presents given and concentrate on a pair top of the range presents moderately than many presents for every individual.
I’m a large fan of giving reviews as a substitute of subject material presents on every occasion conceivable. Baseball tickets, zoo or museum memberships, journeys to rock climb, or cross to the flicks don’t take a lot wrapping subject material and in addition advertise circle of relatives bonding and life-long reminiscences.
As I defined in a prior put up, our youngsters in most cases get:
- The “Want”: One Material Gift– Despite my choice for reviews, we do get one reward for every kid this is strictly one thing they would like. Often those finally end up being journey presents as smartly like craft provides or a stitching system or the Gorilla Gym that has been a favourite in our area for years. Sometimes they’re additionally tutorial presents like a Roominate set, a Perplexus puzzle or bulk Legos.
- The “Need”: Experience Gifts– Each kid will get no less than one journey reward in keeping with 12 months, and ceaselessly we get them a number of extra experience-based presents as smartly. Since circle of relatives reviews are so essential for us, we imagine those presents a necessity so we prioritize and finances for them.
- The “Wear”: Clothes– I’ve created tablet wardrobes for my children so Christmas is the easiest alternative to move past the fundamentals and upload one thing a laugh to their closet. For vacations they ceaselessly get one clothes merchandise they want like a brand new coat or mountaineering boots. This can also be one thing a laugh, like dress-up garments, in the event that they don’t want any new clothes.
- The “Read”: Memory Books– Each 12 months, I stay a folder on my laptop for every kid and all over the 12 months upload footage from box journeys, birthdays, day by day hikes, tenting journeys, and different a laugh reminiscences. At the tip of the 12 months, I bring together every kid’s pictures right into a hardcover e book that I print via a photograph provider (like Shutterfly). This is my favourite reward to offer them every 12 months because it is helping them re-live and keep in mind the whole thing we did as a circle of relatives that 12 months. These books finally end up being the favourite reward annually (and bonus, the picture provider saves them so I will reprint if one ever will get ruined!).
2. Switch to Reusable Gift Wrap
For the presents that do wish to be wrapped, imagine the usage of reusable wrapping fabrics. Sure, there’s a fleeting 2d of gratification in tearing off conventional wrapping paper, however an inventive reusable wrapping is each a a laugh wonder and a present that assists in keeping on giving.
Some of my favourite reusable reward wrap concepts are:
- Fabric: I save material scraps from initiatives all over the 12 months to make use of for reward wrap all over the vacations. These items of material may also be wrapped, tied or rolled round a present to make a easy reusable wrap (right here’s how). I particularly like the usage of material scraps for wrapping presents for my daughters as they experience making the items into doll garments later.
- Scarves: A good looking and distinctive technique to wrap presents. I stay up for gross sales on huge scarves all over the 12 months and use those to wrap presents for our mothers, sisters and feminine buddies as they are able to use the headband as smartly. Two presents in a single and no waste!
- Reusable Shopping Bags: Another sensible technique to wrap presents is in reusable buying groceries luggage. Many retail outlets have in point of fact lovely reusable luggage for approximately a buck (paradoxically, a lot inexpensive than some reward luggage!) and those can be utilized for months or years with the added bonus of decreasing waste at retail outlets as smartly.
- Baskets: My identify is Katie and I’m a basket addict! I like the usage of baskets for group and ornament, but additionally for packaging presents. There are such a lot of gorgeous choices to be had and the recipient can use the basket in addition to the reward!
- Towels: I additionally search for gross sales on towels, particularly linen dish towels, all over the 12 months as those make nice wraps for smaller presents. I love to wrap a present in a linen towel as I might if I had been the usage of wrapping paper and tie with cord or burlap ribbon for a wonderful and herbal glance.
- Blankets: I wrap new child presents or presents for babies in child blankets. For my very own children, I’ll ceaselessly use some muslin blankets we have already got, and I additionally stay some new blankets available for wrapping presents for buddies.
three. Reuse or Recycle Gift Wrap Materials
Another eco-friendly reward wrap concept is to repurpose fabrics that you have already got available as reward wrap. Consider the usage of:
- Old Maps: If you have got old-fashioned maps round the home, imagine the usage of them to wrap presents prior to sending them off to recycling. Maps make gorgeous wrapping paper and youngsters ceaselessly love taking a look on the maps prior to opening their presents.
- Art Work: A kid’s paintings is an lovable and inventive wrapping for a present. For smaller presents, use a small piece of paper kid has embellished with crayon, marker or paint or use larger artwork or drawings for greater presents. To make the paintings usable even after unwrapping, don’t use tape however protected via folding paper at the aspects and tie with cord to protected.
- Newspaper: Many other people now stay alongside of the scoop via social media and information outlet web pages, however when you nonetheless obtain a newspaper, use it to wrap presents prior to recycling it. Though that is ceaselessly regarded as a “cheap” or “tacky” technique to wrap presents, it may be dressed up with cord or burlap ribbon or embellished with stamps and non-toxic paint to make it prettier.
- Brown Paper Grocery Bags: Brown paper luggage additionally make nice wrapping paper when became inside of out. Make presents in point of fact nostalgic “brown paper packages tied up with string” via securing with a work of cord.
- Shopping Bags: If you have already got reward luggage from retail outlets, imagine the usage of them as reward luggage. Some retail outlets have in point of fact lovely buying groceries luggage that may double as reward luggage.
- Boxes: Most folks have some packing containers round the home, particularly if we ordered presents on-line for family and friends. Rather than striking presents in packing containers after which wrapping them, why no longer simply put them within the field and adorn the field with non-toxic paint or stamps?
four. Another Way to Put a Bow on It!
What about the ones miles of ribbon we use at Christmastime?
- Switch to cord or material ribbon, which is normally reusable.
- Christmas is a brilliant time to craft with the youngsters! Buy some felt and spend the quieter days after Christmas making felt poinsettias to avoid wasting to embellish presents subsequent 12 months. This is a brilliant instructional.
- For a festive and herbal “bow,” tuck a pine department, small pinecones, or some holly leaves into the cord or sizzling glue to the highest of the reward.
With a bit of little bit of creativity, you’ll more than likely get a hold of a wide variety of extra eco-friendly reward wrapping concepts I haven’t considered!
What is your favourite inventive technique to wrap presents? Share under!